- "Witness the End of Gotham."
- —The tagline of season 5
With Gotham on the brink of total anarchy and cut off from the outside world, only Jim Gordon, Bruce Wayne and a handful of heroes remain behind to retake the city. Inspired by the “No Man’s Land” arc from the comics, villains including Penguin, the Riddler, the Sirens and Jeremiah have taken claim on various regions of the city. Will order be restored, or will chaos reign in Gotham?
- Ben McKenzie as Jim Gordon
- Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock
- David Mazouz as Bruce Wayne
- Sean Pertwee as Alfred Pennyworth
- Robin Lord Taylor as Oswald Cobblepot
- Erin Richards as Barbara Kean
- Camren Bicondova as Selina Kyle
- Cory Michael Smith as Edward Nygma
- Jessica Lucas as Tabitha Galavan
- Chris Chalk as Lucius Fox
- Kelcy Griffin as Vanessa Harper
- David W. Thompson as Jonathan Crane
- Francesca Root-Dodson as Ecco
- Andrew Sellon as Arthur Penn
- Shane West as Eduardo Dorrance
- BD Wong as Hugo Strange
- Anthony Carrigan as Victor Zsasz
- Benedict Samuel as Jervis Tetch
- J.W. Cortes as Alvarez
- Jaime Murray as Theresa Walker
Gotham was renewed for a fifth and final season on May 13, 2018.
On June 4, 2018, it was announced that season 5 would only consist of 10 episodes instead of the usual 22.
On October 29, 2018, it was revealed that the final season has been expanded from 10 to 12 episodes. The series finale will mark the show's 100th episode.
|#||Episode name||Directed by||Written by||Original airdate|
|1||"Year Zero"||Danny Cannon||John Stephens||January 3, 2019|
|2||"Trespassers"||Louis Shaw Milito||Danny Cannon||2019|
|3||"Penguin, Our Hero"||Rob Bailey||Tze Chun||2019|
|5||"Pena Dura"||Mark Tonderai||Iturri Sosa||2019|
|6||"The Air is Getting Slippery"||Ben McKenzie||2019|
|7||"Ace Chemicals"||John Stephens||Tze Chun||2019|
Confirmed Plot points
- Bruce will become Batman in this season.
- According to executive producer John Stephens, the final season will take influence from the comic book arcs No Man's Land, Zero Year, and at least one other unspecified storyline that he says "if I tell you what it is it really does spoil the story."
- Sharing a common goal, Bruce Wayne, Alfred Pennyworth, and Lucius Fox will become the "strongest team" of the season, with Alfred training Bruce and Lucius providing him with gadgets. This will propel Bruce's transformation into Batman. Bruce will infiltrate various gangs that have taken control of the city, adopting different disguises in the process.
- According to actor David Mazouz, Selina Kyle will be angry with Bruce following her injury in Season 4, and that she will come out of it as a "different person". Cameron Monaghan added that there will be a major confrontation between Bruce and Jeremiah Valeska.
- Leslie Tompkins will go through a radical change this season, while Edward Nygma will first appear living in a public library, while naked, mumbling to himself, and covered in riddle-themed tattooes.
- New villains include Mother and Orphan, Magpie, Bane, Mutant Leader and Lady Shiva. Even though the Ventriloquist and Scarface were announced to appear in season 5, John Stephens has since revealed that the villain wouldn't appear due to struggles to fit him into the overall storyline. However, easter eggs related to the Ventriloquist will be included.
- Returning villains from previous seasons include Hugo Strange, Victor Zsasz, Mad Hatter and Scarecrow.
- The episode Ace Chemicals includes the return of the chemical plant of the same name, as well as Jeremiah Valeska, Ecco and Martha Wayne, who reappears in some form and is used in a plot against Bruce. This episode also includes the final appearance of the Wayne Manor study set.
- Jim Gordon will debut his iconic mustache from the comic books.
- The Penguin will don his traditional top hat and monocle from the comics.
- Mad Hatter will don a teacup holster and a top hat with little playing cards as an allusion to his iconic comic look.
- Arkham Asylum will return in episode 9 or 12.